The Palestinian Medical Relief Society PMRS Gaza Update 7-26th Oct 2023
As of the 28th of October, the documented death toll is 7,703, over 3,000 of them children. However, given telecommunications were shut down on the 27th and Gaza experienced the heaviest 2 days of shelling since Friday night, the death toll is expected to be much higher. Additionally, it is important to note that this figure also does not include those stuck under the rubble which is believed to be more than 2,000 (As of the 27th).
More than 20,000 people have been injured, again, this is expected to increase once we understand the extent of the damage caused in the last 48 hours. Overall, the healthcare infrastructure is beyond recognizable as healthcare. As it stands:
- 20 hospitals have been damaged - 24 ambulances.
- 78 attacks on healthcare facilities - Over 1/3 of hospitals in Gaza have completely shut down.
- More than 60% of primary healthcare facilities have shut down - Critical shortages in medical supplies.
- Critical shortages in blood supplies - High risk patients include 130 babies in incubators, 1000 kidney failure patients, 9000 cancer patients.
- Over 50,000 pregnant women, who are due imminently and at higher risk of pre-term delivery
due to the ongoing stress and trauma.
- Water and food security remains an issue.
- Damage to WASH and other sanitation poses huge risk for infectious disease spread.Download the PMRS Gaza Update 7-26th Oct, 2023