People’s Health Movement (PHM) is seeking a fulltime Global Coordinator to be based at our global office in India.
People’s Health Movement (PHM) is a global network which brings together grassroots health activists, civil society organizations and academic institutions from around the world, particularly from developing countries. PHM works towards the revitalisation of primary health care, as described in the Alma-Ata Declaration of 1978. PHM also works to address the social determinants of health, including in particular, the growing inequity within and between nations, mostly due to the unfair economic structures which lock so many people into poverty and poor health. The PHM currently has a presence in more than 80 countries, some having a few reliable contacts and others well-established circles.
In addition to the country led work, PHM has four global programs working on knowledge generation and alternative analyses on global health (Global Health Watch an alternative world health report, currently working on our 6th edition); engaging with global health governance and policy impacting on health (WHO Watch); capacity building of health activists across the world (International People’s Health University); and development of a campaign platform towards health for all (includes 6 thematic areas).
The Steering Council (SC) is the highest decision making body of PHM, and the smaller Coordinating Commission (CoCo) is the executive body of the SC. The SC is formed of regional representatives (11 regions including PHM-India/Jan Swasthya Abhiyan), four programme representatives, 2 affiliated network representatives, Advisory council representative and some of the secretariat in an ex-officio capacity.
The Global Secretariat: The global secretariat office has been hosted by PHM South Africa, in Cape Town since 2009, with a number of programmes being coordinated by a secretariat in Delhi. The global secretariat has taken different forms over the years, the first 3 secretariat offices being in one country (Bangladesh, India, Egypt), and in 2009 there was a decision to have 3 secretariats with Cape Town as the global office, and Delhi and Cairo hosting global programmes and some functions. The Cairo office closed a few years back, at which point Viva Salud, our financial host in Belgium, took over the financial management. It was agreed that India should be the next location for the global secretariat.
- Full-time team-leading position
- 3-year term with an annually renewable contract
- The PHM Global Coordinator is directly accountable to the Co-Chairs of the Steering Council
- Coordinating the PHM global secretariat:
- Supervising global secretariat staff in India and abroad
- Coordinating the work of volunteers contributing to the global secretariat around the world
- Overseeing global programme implementation and narrative and financial reporting
- Internal Governance and decision making:
- Organizing SC and CoCo meeting (planning, agenda, record keeping, etc);
- Coordinate and maintaining renewal and representation;
- Coordinate decision making processes (strategic, executive and day to day).
- Ensure regular reports submitted to the governance structures
- Networking and External communication
- Ensuring PHM is represented by the correct people at relevant international and regional fora, conferences and meetings; this may involve coordinating others or at times representing PHM;
- Promoting the PHM profile with relevant governmental, inter-governmental civil society and academic organizations.
- Ensure PHM participation in relevant discussions and committees;
- Facilitate the process of PHM signing onto statements
- Movement building and Internal Communication
- Coordinate and enhance communications among PHM governance structures, programs, geographical and thematic circles and PHM affiliated networks;
- Support the development of position papers and statements as required;
- Facilitate the process for affiliated organisations
- Coordinate a system for reporting from regions and the development of annual report;
- Support of the global programmes as required (budgeting, planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation)
- Ensuring the development of strategic and operational plans;
- Resource mobilization and finances
- Assist the development of fundraising strategy with the PHM CoCo
- Participate in fundraising activities (develop proposals, engage with donors, support in fundraising for regional and programme coordinators as required)
- Oversee the financial management
Skills and competencies
- Proven leadership ability with sound management, negotiation and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in coordinating and managing cross cultural activities;
- At least 10 years’ experience in public health, development policy or related fields.
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Experience in fundraising and financial management.
- Ability to work independently and in a team; and ability to work virtually.
- Proficiency in all applications of MS Office or their open source alternatives.
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Prior engagement with health activism, especially with Jan Swasthya Abhiyan (PHM India) and People’s Health Movement globally would be advantageous.
The PHM secretariat is a small team that provides support to senior and younger activist volunteers to take forward the PHM vision and implement its activities. The global coordinator position is a leadership one, and the ideal candidate will be an activist committed to the vision of PHM, be flexible in their work approach and able to cross between administrative, management and political roles. This position does at times require working after hours and the need to travel globally.
INR 11.2 – 13.2 lakh per annum (all-inclusive before tax) depending on experience. The sustainability of PHM and annual renewal of secretariat contracts depends on adequate funds being available.
Send your applications expression of interest, accompanied by a CV and 3 contactable references, via email to globalsecretariat [at] phmovement.org and cc it to blloyd [at] phmovement.org with a subject line of ‘ job application’ on or before by 6th September, 2019.