The People’s Health Movement was at the 71st World Health Assembly in Geneva between May 21-26 as part of PHM’s WHO Watch programme. An detailed commentary on the agenda of WHA71 can be downloaded here.
This year, the watching team included: Linda Markova (UK), Kriti Shukla (India), Natasha Matthews (UK), Simrin Kafle (Nepal), Dan Owalla (Kenya), Emmanuel Tangumonkem (Cameroon), Alba Lop Girones (Spain), Matheus Falco (Brazil), Sophie Gepp (Germany/UK), Sherif Olanrewaju (Nigeria), Gargeya Telakapalli (India), and Ana Vračar (Croatia).
The PHM Watch team published an advocacy document in the form of Policy Brief on selected agenda items in the 71st World Health Assembly which is available here. In addition to the brief and live feeds from WHA71, this year the Watch team also published overviews of discussions at the WHA71. These include: the health situation in occupied Palestinian territories; the WHO’s new General Programme of Work (GPW); and the WHO DG’s open invitation for collaboration to the private sector.
PHM Watchers, in collaboration with Medicus Mundi International (MMI), delivered statements at the 71st World Health Assembly on the following topics:
- (11.1) General Programme of Work – (click here for Video)
- (11.2) Public Preparedness and Response – ( click here for Video)
- (11.4) Health, Environment and Climate Change – (click here for Video)
- (11.5) Addressing the Global Shortage and Access to Medicines and Vaccines – (click here for Video)
- (11.6) Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property – (click here for Video)
- (11.7) Preparation for the third High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Prevention and Control of NCDs (click here for Video)
- (11.8) Preparation for a high-level meeting of the General Assembly on ending tuberculosis
- (12.2) Physical activity for health
- (12.3) Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health
- (12.4) mHealth
- (12.5) Improving access to assistive technology
- (12.6) Maternal, infant and young child nutrition
- (12.9) Eradication of poliomyelitis